Thursday, December 4, 2008

CLAY AND NATURE




I love working with clay, it is so "Earthy" - Actually, it is earth. I really like the relationship of the fired clay to natural objects like seed pods, leaves and twigs. These natural forms have a conceptual relationship with clay since they grow in and from the ground, but I also create a visual relationship with the clay in my use of shape, texture and color. I think the contents of these two boxes illustrate this well. In the bottom box there are real seed pods from the Mahogany tree in various stages of developement (I use these in different forms in many of my pieces, I think they are so evocative of life and regeneration). I combined these seed pods with high fired clay forms that have been textured and stained with oxides to give a "seed pod" like appearance. I then contrasted the earthiness of the pods and clay forms with the high polish of three round stones. The interior of the top box is more about the contrast of the soft yellow seed fluff with the almost stonelike quality of the clay seed pods. There is also a contrast between the random texture of the fluff and the ordered, geometric texture of the clay surfaces. These are some of the relationships I like to explore as I assemble my sculptures, whether boxes or free standing pieces.

No comments: