Tuesday, December 9, 2008

ASSEMBLAGE




All my sculptural work is ASSEMBLAGE in some way. ASSEMBLAGE, a French word pronounced like collage, is a 3-dimensional form of collage in which different materials or objects are "assembled" together in one sculpture. I incorporate a wide variety of materials into my clay sculptures. Often these are found objects like small metal pieces, seed pods, leaves, or twigs. I also include some repeated objects like nails, scabble tiles, or old keys. All these pieces that are added into the sculpture have a symbolic meaning that relates to the piece as a whole. I also try to incorporate objects that will relate to the piece asthetically. I hope that with the inclusion of these objects that I am able to add more to the look and to the narrative of the piece.

2 comments:

Oreste said...

Herb, this collection is brilliant. I love this piece in particular. Going through your blog I keep coming back to it because I enjoy looking at it. The branches on the top make a huge impact. Cheers! Oreste.

Anonymous said...

Herbie, I love this piece also. I love the overall feel of it and the nails are so meaningful as symbols of hope. It's stunning. Congrats, Melanie