Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A NEW SERIES: Step 2


As I continue to develope these new series there are several areas I work on at once. In the photo you can see me making clay "leaves" to fill the laqrger boxes I will be doing. I try to make about 12 leaves a day, hpoefully I will have about 100 to use in the sculptures. After they are formed they have to dry for one day and then I use various clay tools to refine their appearance. They are very delicate at this stage and I usually break a few in the process. Once fired they become much less fragile. You can also see in the foreground of the same photo I am arranging and rearranging the small boxes to try and decide how I want them to look as a finished piece (or pieces). Note how the boxes are totally unfinished at this point in the process. Later they will be painted and altered in a variety of way. I fired the first batch of miniture pots today (a 2 day process) and I should be able to start working with them tomorrow.

No comments: