Monday, December 8, 2008

JARS OF CLAY




My stacked clay sculptures are loosely base on the human form. My first stacked pieces were more literal, having obvious arms, torsos and heads. My more recent forms only suggest those things. The concept and title for this series were taken from Paul's second letter to the Corinthians in the New Testament:
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.
This metaphore of clay and the human body was not a new one with Paul. Genesis describes Adam as being made from the "dust of the ground." It says later in the same book "from dust you are and to dust you will return." Paul uses this metaphore in another place speaking of God and man saying "I (God) am the potter, you (man) are the clay."
My stacked clay peices are meant to show this tension between the earthy and spiritual natures we all have. Though we are made of temporary "clay" bodies there is within us all something of the eternal. I incorporate different elements, both natural and man made, into the sculpture to accent our connection to the world. I also try to hint at the sacred or eternal with other elements.

No comments: